Do you make things happen, or do things happen to you? Do you blame others often? Are you not taking action because you don’t want to fail?
If all that resonates with you, keep reading 🙂
The other day in a session with my coach. It came out that one of my “gifts”, natural skills, strengths, whatever you want to call it, is that I’ve been able to create whatever I wanted to happen in my life for myself.
And, no, I wasn’t lucky. Planning and strategy are my best innate transferable skills that I can use in my personal and career life, and I am a master of them.
If we are talking about life or career. Taking responsibility and perseverance are crucial in solving any situation that makes us unhappy or unsatisfied with something.
I’ve been not taking responsibility for anything for the first 25 years of my life. Others were always to blame for my bad relationships, my lame job, or living in a place that I hated passionately.
It was not until I was 25 years old that I started to take responsibility and control what was going on in my life. And not until my 30 (only five years ago), I fully assume that the only one responsible for everything that happened to me was myself.
And maybe now, you will ask, but Joana, how do you do it? How you made, happen whatever you wanted to happen.
Knowing that I am in control, that I am a decision away to fail or to succeed. And this only depends on me! If you want to read more about that, you can go to this blog. (Why I am never happy with any job?)
I will give you some examples of what it is, what I made it happen:
- Taking a gap year.
- Quit jobs.
- Moving to the US (2011).
- Start from Finance to Tourism (first Career Change)
- Find a job in the UK and move there.
- Certify me as a Coach.
- Start to be self-employed.
All that was easy? No.
I cannot tell you everything for every point in a blog, but I can tell you that looking for a job in the UK was on my list for a few years. I had several interviews, and it seemed like for them or me sometimes, nothing was the proper fit.
But I didn’t give up; I didn’t say fuck it! And I didn’t lay in my bed crying either until it happened. I am a firm believer that everything happens at the right time and when you are ready to receive it.
I learned that making “mistakes” will be a massive part of my life from a very young age. Not because I made a lot of them, because when you live in a little town, and you are different from most people, they will judge you and shame you for it. So it was part of the package because I have a strong personality that I will never modify for anyone.
I always prefer to carry with me: ” I tried everything and didn’t work out” than ” what if?….”
So, How I make the things that I want happen in my life?
- Taking responsibility: It can only happen with self-awareness and inner work. And is not a quick fix, but it is a daily decision to be happy and be the best version of yourself. I am sorry to break it to you; you have the power to change anything that is happening today. Easy? I never said that word. Possible? Absolutely YES!
- Taking action: Praying, wishing, complaining, having a good mindset, all that can help. But if you don’t start doing things that get you closer to that goal, all the mindset and positive thinking alone are scams! The only way to manifest anything is to show up and do the work. Please don’t take me wrong; mindset and being positive it helps, but by itself, without taking action is useless. ( sorry gurus! 🙂 )
- Perseverance: That is the most important one from all of it. In our millennial and gen-z generation, we are used to getting everything quick. If it is not now and my way, we do not want it! (harsh truth). Another breaking news, a real career change, is not just about getting another job; it will involve working hard and time. And like everything, things will happen that we haven’t planned. And that’s why are people that achieve their dreams and people that doesn’t. They don’t say Fuck it! My way or the highway! They keep trying! 🙂
- Don’t believe in failures: I don’t, and I hate that word, with passion. Failure is a word that losers use to prevent brave people from fighting for what they want because the losers are not capable even to try it. And it’s easier to shame, laugh at others work than put the same effort.
All that happens to us are lessons, everyone has the right, or I will better say the obligation to do whatever is in their power to be happy! Sometimes we don’t make the wiser choices, but it is part of the process, not a failure!
5. Planning and Strategy: Goal setting, making action plans. If something doesn’t work out, try it other ways. It is part of the process too. For me, planning and strategy have been a crucial part of anything I’ve achieved.
I will leave you four questions to ask yourself because making things happen is not rocket science.
- For what do I want that career change?
- What is the worst that it can happen?
- Do I know someone that did what I want to do to ask for advice?
- Which work do I need to do with myself to achieve this?
What are you waiting for if you want to start working on yourself, find a job to deliver value, grow, and execute your purpose?
I got a free guide to identify your blocks and discover your core values, to start that process of inner-work. Take the first step today and Download my guide into your heart-led career change.
I am delivering a workshop on the 14 of December. Going through the first steps of a career change, starting to do that inner-work, and taking responsibility to make the things we want to happen! Click here to sign up.
If you are committed to making this career change and doing the inner work. Instead of freaking out and convincing yourself to stay safe but not growing, and it looks like you are not getting anywhere by yourself. You realize you feel stuck and need someone to help you get through it. So let’s have a free vibe call! I got you!
Life is happening right now, and time is the only thing we will never get back, to lose it in a job where we spent most of our time that we hate.
Let’s design your Heart-led Career Change together right now!