Do you feel bored at your job? You think that you don’t have challenges at all? Do you always need to be involved in everything for things to work out? If all this have crossed your mind at least twice, probably you are overqualified for your job. Keep reading to find the seven signs that will prove it.
Realizing that I was overqualified for the job I was doing when I worked in the corporate world; was one of my wake up calls, that I was on the wrong career path.
When I stop and analyze what was wrong there, I was bored, drained, and unhappy. I extract these seven signs that I will share with you today.
- You are bored out of your mind: Being overqualified for your job translates into that you cannot focus because you don’t need to work very hard. That will cause that you work primarily on autopilot; you will start doing other things at work (browsing online for groceries shopping, or clothes, or whatever you need; if you work from home, maybe watching TV or Netflix at the same time). That will be the first stage when you realize that you need a career change and start looking for a coach before being burned out and desperate.
- You could be your boss: Having a leader that needs your constant support and involves you in everything, and you know that without them, everything will work the same because they know less than you. We need to have a clear view; if you are not the manager yourself, you need a mentor that guides you and challenges you to do more and better. If that is not happening in your current job, then it is time to make a boss move elsewhere.
- You need more work to do: If your workday is full of time to check Facebook, Instagram, the news, the last deals in Amazon because you aren’t busy enough. That means or you are either too good at what you are doing or capable of doing more. Either way is time to look for an exit for peace of mind.
Any of these signs themselves should raise a red flag that you are overqualified for your job. But if you still not convinced, here you have some more.
- You can see a bigger picture that others can’t: Have you been told that your job is not to think, or you are too creative or think too much “out of the box”. Guess what? The problem is that you are too smart to work with the people you are working with. Move on.
- You haven’t felt challenged in way too long: If you feel that you can do your job with your eye closed and is not difficult, doing your job shouldn’t feel like hiking Everest, but should make you face some new problem, address some new situations, and challenge yourself at least a bit.
- You’d Be the Most Experienced Person in That Role—By Far: Nothing is wrong with being the most experienced one if still room to grow and learn. If you are the one knowing more by a long shot, then probably the role is beneath you.
And then, I will tell you the last one, and the one that should concern your more.
- You cannot stay in your lane: You always need to be involved in all the projects, mentor and training others; your day is full of questions and interruptions. You feel more like the “support partner” of every member than your team than a coworker.
Being overqualified at your work can cause burnout, dissatisfaction, unfulfillment, and in the worst scenarios, depression. What can you do about it?
The first thing will be to analyze why this is happening? Is this job align with your values? Aligns with your career mission and aligns with your vision? Once you have all these answers, you can consider those three options.
- Move Up, any opportunity to climb on the ladder, maybe a manager role, a team leader, or the position of your boss 🙂
- Move Outwards, any opportunity to change inside the company in a different role suits your skills better and aligns with who you are.
- Move out; once you find that the company have nothing else to offer you, it is better to end things on good terms and leave doors open for any opportunity that may interest you in the future. Insisting in a place where clearly you do not fit won´t help your career and development.
First, gather the answers; I have some free tools for you:
Mission – How to create your Mission.
Vision – How to create your vision.
If you feel that you are overqualified in your work and it is time to take action. If you think you want to change, but the idea of doing it yourself overwhelms you, then look for help because I’m sorry to break it to you. It won’t change by itself. So let’s have a free vibe call.
Life is happening right now, and time is the only thing we will never get back, to lose it in a job where we spent most of our time that we hate.
Changing it is scary for everyone, but remaining the same and unhappy is not a better option. For me, it is not even an option.